The appropriate specification and correct selection of hinges is crucial to their performance and depends on the following factors;
1. Is it a fire, smoke or emergency escape door?
2. How heavy is the door and what are the door dimension(height, width and thickness)?
3. What is the door's construction and are there any unusal features that could affect the hinges?
4. Where is the door situated e.g internal or external; is it near the coast or in a swiming pool?
5. What level of use/abuse will the door be subject to e.g office, hospital or school corridor?
6. What other items of hardware are to be fitted,that may be affect the hinge performance, typically door closer or door stops?
7. Any other unusal features involved e.g. door has radius top or the door is a bifold.
Hinges should always be specified to comply with the BS EN 1935 classification appropriate to the type of application . When specifying ,please state the actual door weight and the Hinges,refer to the table on the previous page .
Numeber of Hinges
Normally three hinges are fitted to each door leaf in accordance with BS 4787 part 1.For doors exceeding 2100 mm in height a fourth hinge should be fitted .
Hinge should be installed in accordance with the door Manufacturer’s recommendations.Where no such instructions are available ,care must be taken to ensure that the hinges are correctly aligned and fixed securely to the door and frame screw holes should be piloted and screw heads must be flush with the hinge face to ensure that the door closes properly
It is usually acceptable to line up the centre hinge with the handle hardware .
Equally spaced hinges will minimize warping ,which may occur in environments with extremes of temperature or humidity on either side of the door . Unequally spaced hinges (fig .c and d) improve load bearing .This is recommended where the hinge are operating near their load bearing maximum or where door closers,particularly back check door closers ,are in operation and the door is frequently used .
D&D Hardware Manufacture of high quality hardware for Wooden Doors, Metal Doors, Escape Doors,Fire Rated Doors,Single Fire Rated Flush Doors, Double Doors,Security Doors, Louver Steel Doors etc.